Facebook

Derp

The Jetman has something to say about the crap that's going on lately. SERIOUSLY?! Yup.

SNES 20th Anniversary Series: Part 1

Posted by JETZ.acx On Sunday, August 21, 2011 0 comments

Super Nintendo Entertainment System

I’m one of the few who were late in the party. I got my SNES back in 1995, well long after its initial release in 1991. In all honesty, though, it matters little. Hell, I could say it mattered the most since it was the year when the SNES was at its prime, with such a huge library and games that came and go like crazy. Looking back now, it’s hard to imagine myself without a SNES. Arguably the best console ever made, the 16-bit beast was host for a ton of classics that I don’t know where to start.

Starting with this blog post, I’ll make a series of 5 lists in which I detail many of the games that I considered influential in my time with the precious console, in no particular order of preference or quality. Keep in mind that all of these games mentioned here have been games that I’ve either owned, rented, borrowed or played in some shape or form, and while I might not own some of them physically, they’re in my “must get/download to VC soon” list. With that being said, it’s time to go nostalgic!

THE GAMES I FIRST PLAYED BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE

1. SUPER MARIO WORLD

The iconic intro.

I can’t start of this list without talking about the game that symbolized the console itself. I still stand on my opinion that Super Mario Bros. 3 is the best 2D Mario ever, but World was arguably equal. More focus on pure platforming and gameplay variety, the SNES classic still stands as the pinnacle of game design. So much stuff was introduced in this game: the Super Cape, the multiple exits that lead you to different paths, secret worlds (and even MORE secret worlds!), Yoshi…this game was just bigger, badder, and better.

It was also the first game that I found glitches! If you play Star Road 3 many times, there comes a time when the Level Goal actually disappears, and is rendered unusable. This forces you to look for another exit; I can’t remember how I pulled it off, but I do know I was playing that level countless times. And I was only …about 6 years old, so I must’ve felt like a total badass after doing such a feat on such a small age.

Star Road 3

2. STREET FIGHTER II: THE WORLD WARRIOR

Street Fighter 2

The REAL first game I’ve ever played on a console was known as Street Fighter II. You do remember this game, do you? Arcade fighting game, 8 characters to choose from, lots of special moves, beat the opponent to win the game? No? Of course you do. Street Fighter II is just pure genius when it first came out, and while many have tried to imitate its formula, none can quite compare the sheer power of the one that started it all.

Chun-li vs Ryu

I personally own Street Fighter II: Turbo, a vastly-improved update that makes the game more fast-paced and allows you to use the game’s bosses for the first time. Super Street Fighter II, while adding new characters into the mix, removed that speed we all know and love, making it inferior than Turbo. Whichever is your favorite, though, the original is still the game that revolutionized a whole new genre for generations to come.

3. FINAL FANTASY II

Final Fantasy II

Technically known as Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy II was, for many, our first RPG. While the graphics aren’t that big and the dialog has one heck of a sloppy localization, the true innovation in this title lies within the many upgrades into the RPG formula. Every character is distinct and has their own abilities; a huge overworld that spans three maps across the game; awesome graphic effects for magic spells and summons, and the introduction of the Active Time Battle system that was so good it was preserved for five more sequels before it was replaced (and then brought back for one more game!).

But perhaps more important than any of its gameplay evolutions was the fact that within this little adventure game was a memorable story that simply shattered anything that was thought possible in a video game. The tale of a Dark Knight called Cecil and his friends Kain and Rosa takes you through numerous twists that includes death, betrayal, sacrifice, romance and even family issues. By the time you discover who is really Golbez, the main antagonist, your mind gets blown away and tells you that anything can be expected when playing an RPG. Oh, and did I mention this was the first time many people start fighting over who’s the hottest magic chick? Mine’s always Rydia. :3

Final Fantasy IV

4. DONKEY KONG COUNTRY 2: DIDDY’S KONG QUEST

Donkey Kong Country 2

Like I said, I was late in the party, so when I got my SNES for the first time, instead of receiving the highly-acclaimed Donkey Kong Country, I got its sequel, Diddy’s Kong Quest. So yeah, it played like a Mario game. You jump, you stomp enemies, you gather bananas to earn lives…pretty straight-forward. Little that I knew that this would be one of the hardest fun platformers of all time.

Diddy Kong boom box

The biggest difference between DKC1 and DKC2 is the shear amount of stuff you can do this time around. Sure, there was the barrel-cannon levels, but some of them allowed you to steer or even move the barrel at your own leisure. Yeah, we’ve got the classic “mine-cart” levels (now roller-coaster rides), but then you were thrown into this maniacal race against other Kremlings in order to win 1st place! Out of all the Donkey Kong Country games in the SNES trilogy, DKC2 stands out as the best simply because it was not only more of the same good platforming of the original – it expanded and improved in every way possible, which makes me wonder if the DKC Returns will have a similar sequel from the hands of Retro Studios.

5. THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: A LINK TO THE PAST

A Link to the Past

True story: The only thing I remember when I was playing this game as a kid was dashing like crazy around the overworld with the Pegasus Shoes. As fun as that might be, however, Zelda: A Link to the Past is more than crazy fun with an item. When I finally bought this game from Gamestop years after the SNES was removed from the stores, I realized how big this game was in all of its splendor.

A lot of people think that Ocarina of Time established the blueprint in which all Zelda games ever since was molded with. In reality, OoT actually perfected an already-established formula from the SNES title. Many of the classic tunes like Zelda’s Lullaby and Ganon’s theme were introduced here, and while not all items found in dungeons actually helped you defeat the boss within them, they were essential in your quest nonetheless. Moreover, the story was big enough that you knew that the fate of Hyrule rests in your shoulders, but not overwhelming to the point that it detracts you from the gameplay. What we’ve got here is the perfection of an already-awesome masterpiece; while the original Legend of Zelda might have revolutionized the way we play games, A Link to the Past was made to stand the test of time, and it succeeds almost effortlessly.

Zelda SNES

0 comments:

Post a Comment